Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SIDS

As most of you know, I am part of an online community for everything baby. They have different forums for parents dealing with loss, fertility issues, adoption, pregnancy, new babies, etc. This is where I met most of my friends who have also lost babies - I don't know what I would have done without it last year! Earlier this year I joined a group of women who were all expecting babies at the same time. We have asked each other questions about things like what carseat to register for, what are early signs of labor, what to do when the new baby won't stop crying, etc. This morning I went on there and there is a new post by a woman whose son just died on Sunday of SIDS. He was 13 days older than Eleanor.

SIDS actually doesn't scare me much, thanks to our monitor. If she ever stopped breathing in her sleep, I would know. I think. Still, I hope this monitor doesn't give me a false sense of security. Anything could happen, and I realize that.

I am heartbroken for this family. This woman and I have been through the whole pregnancy/delivery/new baby experience together, and now her baby is gone. It's just so unfair and I can't get it out of my mind.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I've been talking to my hubby about getting this monitor b/c I remember your previous post about how your monitor helps you to sleep at night.

I feel horrible for this family and they will be in my prayers...

Malou's Mama said...

Oh, Beth, that is such sad news. I think especially us mothers of stillborn babies think we're safer once the baby is here (and statistically, I think we are), but it is still a reality that infant loss happens way too often as well. I am just heartbroken for that family. Maybe you will be a small comfort to them in this horrible time...knowing you're not alone in your feelings helps the agony just a tiny bit.

And now I want to look into that monitor too (I've already wondered if I will be able to sleep when our upcoming arrival is...or if I will be too worried).

Hollie said...

That is so awful! My heart just breaks for her :(

I agree with you on the monitor! While it does give me a little more reassurance, I'm not relying on it to stop something that may be inevitable. BUT, it does let me sleep better at night, knowing that I would be woken up if she stops breathing.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just came across your blog. I am so sorry for your loss and so happy for your new arrival.

I wanted to pass on a warning to you about the Angel Care monitor and any other monitor like it.

The testing of these monitors did not go as great as one would hope. It can sometimes take 30 secs or more of not breathing for the alarm to sound.

Our ped does not recommend them for this reason.

I think any monitor is better than none, and I know you are completely watchful. I hope this doesn't come off wrong!

God Bless -- J

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant 30 seconds to several minutes. Sometimes the alarm won't sound either.

I recommend a video monitor with site and sound. The video monitor should be large and clear.

Gled Bless you for speaking about this.

---J

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Oh my goodness. That is so scary. I am so scared of this happening. I'm sorry for your friend. Heartbreaking.