My niece Julie turned 3 in March. Last summer when I was in labor with Ada she and my sister-in-law came to see me at the hospital. Julie was very somber and quiet, and she understood that Hunter and I were "very sad." She gave us both a hug and never said much. After that she mentioned to me several times that she came to see me at the hospital, but we didn't really talk about it after a month or two.
A year passes.
When Eleanor was born this summer, my brother and his whole family came to see me at the hospital. Both Julie and her little brother Evan were very excited, and Julie even got to hold her little cousin.
A year passes.
When Eleanor was born this summer, my brother and his whole family came to see me at the hospital. Both Julie and her little brother Evan were very excited, and Julie even got to hold her little cousin.
In the hospital

So, imagine my surprise yesterday when Julie was at my house and we had this conversation. Remember, she was only a little bit over two years old when Ada was born.
(totally out of the blue) Julie: Remember when we came to the hospital to see baby Ada?
(Hunter and I look at each other)
Me: Do you mean when you came to see baby Eleanor or baby Ada?
Julie: (suddenly very serious) Baby Ada
Me: Yes, I remember that. Do you remember that we were very sad?
Julie: Yes.
Me: Do you remember when you came to see baby Eleanor in the hospital?
Julie: Yes. We came to see baby Eleanor.
This may not seem like much of a conversation, but it meant a lot to me. First of all, I can't believe she even remembers one year ago since she's only 3 in the first place. But also, it's so nice that she remembers her cousin and isn't afraid to bring up Ada's life like a lot of people are. Ada and Eleanor are lucky to have such great cousins.
I feel like I should add that I think my sister-in-law has a lot to do with the fact that Julie is such a sweet, sensitive little girl. Monica is one of the other few people who will talk with me anytime about Ada. Like mother, like daughter I guess. Thank you, Monica. :)
(totally out of the blue) Julie: Remember when we came to the hospital to see baby Ada?
(Hunter and I look at each other)
Me: Do you mean when you came to see baby Eleanor or baby Ada?
Julie: (suddenly very serious) Baby Ada
Me: Yes, I remember that. Do you remember that we were very sad?
Julie: Yes.
Me: Do you remember when you came to see baby Eleanor in the hospital?
Julie: Yes. We came to see baby Eleanor.
This may not seem like much of a conversation, but it meant a lot to me. First of all, I can't believe she even remembers one year ago since she's only 3 in the first place. But also, it's so nice that she remembers her cousin and isn't afraid to bring up Ada's life like a lot of people are. Ada and Eleanor are lucky to have such great cousins.
I feel like I should add that I think my sister-in-law has a lot to do with the fact that Julie is such a sweet, sensitive little girl. Monica is one of the other few people who will talk with me anytime about Ada. Like mother, like daughter I guess. Thank you, Monica. :)



3 comments:
Isn't it amazing what they remember? My nieces will say stuff and I'm just baffled by their memories...Its crazy though that she remembers something from when she was 2!!
That is so touching. And I don't officially "know" Monica, but I am not surprised either that she has such a sweet daughter!
That is so sweet. Wow.
Post a Comment