After I delivered Eleanor, three different nurses came in my room and said, "Did you know you're non-rubella immune?!" The first time I was confused and needed an explanation, and then the other two times just started to make me nervous. So, even though I got all my vaccines as a kid, apparently I lost my immunity somewhere along the way. Sometimes that just happens.
I need to get the vaccine, but I still haven't figured out if it's okay while nursing. The pediatrician said I should just wait since I'm not traveling or anything in the near future, but I also want to ask my lactation consultant and my OB. I trust the LC more than anyone. I want to get it sooner rather than later because you should not get pregnant for 3 months after getting the vaccine. And no, I have NO plans to get pregnant anytime soon (!), but you really never know what may happen. I have friends who have had just about every type of birth control fail on them, and I don't want to risk getting pregnant before getting the shot. Keep reading to see why.
I did a little bit of reading about rubella, and I'm intrigued now. "Rubella infection in adults is often mild, self-limiting and often asymptomatic." So, you possibly don't even know you have it? And, "Many mothers who contract rubella during the first critical trimester either have a miscarriage or a stillborn baby." Umm...when did I lose my immunity? Would this have shown up in Ada's autopsy? Did they check me for this when I got pregnant with Ada or in the hospital after she died? I'm definitely going to ask about this at my 6 week checkup next week. If the mother gets rubella during the pregnancy and the baby does survive, s/he can be blind, deaf, have severe heart disorders, and a whole bunch of other major life threatening organ disorders. I do NOT want to risk that! So now I'm just trying to figure out when to get this vaccine and I'm wondering if rubella had anything to do with Ada's death...
I need to get the vaccine, but I still haven't figured out if it's okay while nursing. The pediatrician said I should just wait since I'm not traveling or anything in the near future, but I also want to ask my lactation consultant and my OB. I trust the LC more than anyone. I want to get it sooner rather than later because you should not get pregnant for 3 months after getting the vaccine. And no, I have NO plans to get pregnant anytime soon (!), but you really never know what may happen. I have friends who have had just about every type of birth control fail on them, and I don't want to risk getting pregnant before getting the shot. Keep reading to see why.
I did a little bit of reading about rubella, and I'm intrigued now. "Rubella infection in adults is often mild, self-limiting and often asymptomatic." So, you possibly don't even know you have it? And, "Many mothers who contract rubella during the first critical trimester either have a miscarriage or a stillborn baby." Umm...when did I lose my immunity? Would this have shown up in Ada's autopsy? Did they check me for this when I got pregnant with Ada or in the hospital after she died? I'm definitely going to ask about this at my 6 week checkup next week. If the mother gets rubella during the pregnancy and the baby does survive, s/he can be blind, deaf, have severe heart disorders, and a whole bunch of other major life threatening organ disorders. I do NOT want to risk that! So now I'm just trying to figure out when to get this vaccine and I'm wondering if rubella had anything to do with Ada's death...


3 comments:
I had the same thing happen to me. It okay to have the shot it hurts I feel for my kids now I've nursed all 3 out 4 of my kids all for 18months or longer and had the shot after my 3rd.
Okay, I just spent a good thiry minutes google searching rubella. I was so fearful my entire pregnancy because I had kids in my classroom who had crazy rashes, fevers, ect... And, wouldn't you know, my worst fears came true. I still think that I was exposed to something that caused the loss. I want to call my OB now and ask for a rubella test. I wonder if they checked it automatically when I gave blood periodically at appointments. I know that I was not immune to 5th disease. How, do I know. Because there was a huge breakout at my school a few months before I lost Ella. So, of course, not being immune to that, I was totally freaked. Anyway, sorry for babbling.
I also lost my immunity. It is standard to check when you find out you are pregnant here (but not before, oddly enough, although they do check before starting fertility treatments), so they also checked to see if I'd had it after Malou died. (I didn't.) I wonder - I have no idea - if it is like chicken pox, and if you've had it, you become immune and so therefore you must not have had it? In any case, I can certainly understand you wanting to get vaccinated asap!
Post a Comment