Ada's been on my mind a lot the past few days. I don't know if it's the approach of the holidays or what, but it seems like there are little reminders all the time. Last night for whatever reason, I started thinking about her as I was lying in bed and trying to fall asleep. I never really think about this, but I started remembering her ashes and what they felt like in my hand. For those of you who have never seen a person's ashes, it's not exactly what you might expect. There's ash, but there are also little bits of bone mixed in. Yeah, I know it's gross, but it's reality. So last night all I could think about were those little bits of bone. I get to look at Eleanor every day and watch her grow up (and boy does she grow fast!), but with Ada the last memory I have of her is feeling those little pieces in my hand and then letting them go into the ocean. I know it's macabre and like I said I really never think about that part, but for some reason it was on my mind last night.
Then today I was at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and we've been watching this video series about adjusting to life as a mom. The videos are actually really interesting and the stories bring up some good points. In the story today though, the woman kept mentioning something about her child being her "first". She must have said that word 10 times. I almost had to get up and go to the bathroom because I was afraid I was going to start crying right then and people would think I was crazy because the story itself wasn't sad at all.
I will always call Eleanor my oldest, but I will never say that she's my first. I held the ashes of my first child and let her go. I wonder what part of the world she's visiting today. :)
Then today I was at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and we've been watching this video series about adjusting to life as a mom. The videos are actually really interesting and the stories bring up some good points. In the story today though, the woman kept mentioning something about her child being her "first". She must have said that word 10 times. I almost had to get up and go to the bathroom because I was afraid I was going to start crying right then and people would think I was crazy because the story itself wasn't sad at all.
I will always call Eleanor my oldest, but I will never say that she's my first. I held the ashes of my first child and let her go. I wonder what part of the world she's visiting today. :)


5 comments:
I still have Lily's ashes and have only taken them out of her urn one time but I was very surprised to see what her ashes looked like...I don't know what I was expecting, though...
We all have those triggers and I have cried in too many public restrooms...even had one lady knocked on the stall door to see if I was okay...I'm one of those that doesn't hide tears/sadness very well...
((hugs)) and I hope you are able to feel peace while thinking of your sweet Ada...
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you, Beth! Many hugs!!
Love,
Emily
Sometimes those statements and hearing other people use certain phrases just bring the tears to the surface. I like how you refer to Eleanor as your first. I usually say Gwen is the first baby we got to bring home with us, but I may use your idea. If I had Gregory cremated I would certainly be thinking about those ashes in my hands also. Hugs.
I hadn't thought of it that way before, but I like your distinction between your oldest and your first. I think I will need to steal it. Sometimes, when a stranger asks (now that I'm pregnant), "is this your first?" I just answer "my first boy."
I also love the thought of Ada visiting different parts of the world through the ocean. And I am thankful you got to feel her ashes, because as you know, I didn't touch Malou's but I really wondered what they were like. So I'm glad you could share that with me.
Dear Beth I still think of you every day. If Johan were cremated I think I would never have let go ... so I do admire you. Ada might visit every part of the world but she is only a heartbeat away when you 'need' her. Hugs to you! :)
Post a Comment