When I was 10 weeks pregnant with Ada, Hunter and I took a big trip out west. We were in the gift shop at the Petrified Forest National Park when I saw this book and I knew we had to get it. We had already decided that the theme for her nursery would be animals of the world, and this was a perfect addition. It has wonderful labeled drawings of LOTS of different desert animals, and rhyming phrases that say what they do. ("I sting", "I sing")
This book was the first purchase we made together for Ada, and Hunter read it to her very often. We always laughed at the picture of some sort of deer kicking and saying, "I kick" because it reminded us of Ada and how she would kick.
After Ada died, Hunter kept it by his bed and read it many times, always with tears. I contemplated putting it in Ada's box, but we decided that it is too good of a book and we wanted all of our kids to get to read it. Since Eleanor has been born I haven't been able to bring myself to pick up that book - it was just too hard. Yesterday though, Hunter and I were together with Eleanor and I went to pick out a book for her. I decided that it was a good time since we were all here, so I picked up I Howl, I Growl. Hunter read it to her and we both cried as he read it. That was really hard for both of us - probably the saddest we have been since Eleanor was born. It's amazing how a silly little book can remind you of all of the joy and excitement that you once had... and then lost.
This book was the first purchase we made together for Ada, and Hunter read it to her very often. We always laughed at the picture of some sort of deer kicking and saying, "I kick" because it reminded us of Ada and how she would kick.
After Ada died, Hunter kept it by his bed and read it many times, always with tears. I contemplated putting it in Ada's box, but we decided that it is too good of a book and we wanted all of our kids to get to read it. Since Eleanor has been born I haven't been able to bring myself to pick up that book - it was just too hard. Yesterday though, Hunter and I were together with Eleanor and I went to pick out a book for her. I decided that it was a good time since we were all here, so I picked up I Howl, I Growl. Hunter read it to her and we both cried as he read it. That was really hard for both of us - probably the saddest we have been since Eleanor was born. It's amazing how a silly little book can remind you of all of the joy and excitement that you once had... and then lost.



3 comments:
WOW-- it's amazing how things like this can connect us in this world. I lost my son in April and drove with my family from Florida to see my family in California. We did stop on the way back home to see the Petrified Forest and were hiking through it when I just broke down in tears. What a beautiful place. I don't think I have ever, ever seen a sky so blue. I was overcome with the beauty and just sad that my little man would never experience things like that with me. So, I understand how the feeling can just creep up on you. A little something here or there to remind you of what you are missing. I understand. I really do. ((HUGS))
I actually have tears in my eyes as I imagine your family reading Ada's book to her sister. ((HUGS))
This one really got to me. Thinking of you all - and looking forward to seeing you this weekend.
Post a Comment