Sunday, February 15, 2009

Article in Newsweek

There's an article Newsweek on stillbirth that is really touching. It's sad, but yet validating to me to see that what we've been through is actually being acknowledged. Ever since we lost Ada I've wished that people were more aware that stillbirths do happen. When I was pregnant with her and I reached my second trimester, I felt like I could relax and that everything would probably be okay. I didn't really relax until 20 weeks though, because I knew that a loss at that point would be considered a stillbirth and I thought that nobody ever has stillborn babies - that's just something that used to happen in the 1800's. My ignorance almost makes me laugh now, but it's not really very funny. Anyway, I just appreciate that Newsweek published this. Click here to read it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I read this article earlier this week and it is very validating that even though our babies lived very short lives that their lives were significant.

Anonymous said...

I agree. It's nice to see stillbirths talked about. It affects so many of us, but yet you rarely hear about it.
I have heard about the photography company - unfortunately, a lot of us have no time to prepare for the loss, so we either don't have time to arrange, or we don't think we want to take pictures.