Monday, March 9, 2009

Flashbacks

Today was our big ultrasound. Everything went really well, and Ada is going to have a little sister! Her name is Eleanor Elizabeth. We debated over the middle name for a long time, but we finally agreed to give Eleanor the same middle name as her sister. Eleanor is not named after Ada - I don't ever want her to feel like she's supposed to replace Ada - but instead this is one thing they can share with each other. Eleanor will never get the chance to know her big sister, but she can be proud to share the same middle name.

We had to drive all the way to Orlando for the ultrasound (over an hour away) and then wait in the waiting room for about 45 minutes. I was nervous to begin with, but every minute made it harder. I was practically shaking by the time we were called to go back to the exam room. I had no real reason to be nervous, but going into that little room and having an ultrasound technician that I don't know shut the door brought on sudden flashbacks. I've had 3 ultrasounds with Eleanor but they were all in my doctor's office where I am very comfortable. Today, all I could think about was the last time we had an ultrasound done at a place like this. Before the technician started the ultrasound, I started to cry. I felt kind of ridiculous, but I couldn't help it. I was SO SURE that she wasn't going to find a heartbeat. She was really nice and told me that everybody who comes to her is nervous (this was a level 2 ultrasound that's only done for patients at high risk or who think there might be a problem), and she gave me a box of tissues. Hunter told her that we're just nervous and asked if she could check the heartbeat before doing anything else. She did, and it was fine! I'm so glad Hunter asked her to do that. Once that was over I was fine, but I still feel scared when I just think about going into that room. You just never get over hearing the worst news of your life.

The doctor came in a little while later and asked us lots of questions about Ada. I explained everything that I knew about what happened, how much she weighed, how far along I was when they believe that she died, what tests we did, etc. Later in the car on the way home, I told Hunter that it felt nice to have her ask all of those questions about Ada and he agreed. It was nice to have a stranger care about her and talk about her like she was a person. I know some people who lose their babies never want to talk about it, but for us I feel like we don't get enough opportunities to talk about it. This is probably more true for Hunter than for me, because I have this blog as my little outlet and my family and a few friends mention her name pretty often. Anyway, the whole ultrasound experience was good after the first 2 minutes were over!

7 comments:

Kara said...

Congratulations on another girl and Eleanor is a beautiful name!! I STILL get nervous every time I go in for an u/s, even though I can feel the baby moving. I think that's something that takes awhile to get over. I'm so glad everything looks good.
Kara

Mrs. Mother said...

Oh that's wonderful and what a beautiful name Ada's little sister has.

Kristi said...

OH! Congratulations on another baby girl! I love Eleanor, beautiful. I'm so glad that things went well for you... makes me smile to see you so happy! :)

Jewels said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you :)

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Congratulations! Yay for Ada's little sister. I can imagine how nervous you must have been. I agree that we don't get the chance to talk about our babies enough, and I'm glad you had a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Or tillykke, as we say over here. I am so healthy Eleanor is healthy. I can only imagine the fright before each ultrasound.
Eleanor Elizabeth is a beautiful name, just like Ada Elizabeth. I have also thought about using Malou's middle name Amelia as either a first or middle name if we are so lucky as to have another girl.

Jen said...

I've been stalking your pregnancy stuff on your other blog :) but, wanted to tell you that I LOVE the name Eleanor. That was one of the names we had played with, but Lily won out.

Congrats on the baby girl!