Today is such a bittersweet day, but I'm feeling more sadness than joy. Yes, Eleanor gives me hope, and I have a lot of things to look forward to this week. (Big ultrasound on Monday, baby shower at work on Tuesday, regular doctor's appointment on Wednesday...whew!) Still, today I'm just thinking about Ada. And I miss her.
I did not win the essay contest. They were supposed to notify the winner on Friday and I never heard anything, so I knew that much. Still, I was kind of hoping that they might at least put my essay online - you know, "visit our website to see other entries." Instead, they actually didn't even print the winner's essay - they just wrote an article using some stories from her and other mothers. The whole article focused on funny mistakes mothers have made, like signing a letter from the tooth fairy, "Love, The Easter Bunny." I guess my essay doesn't exactly fit in with those kinds of stories.
I knew that tears would come at some point today...I was just waiting for the trigger. Part of it was that several friends of mine said things like, "Happy Mother's Day, mommy-to-be!" I know they meant well, but it hurts because I AM a mom. I've already seen and held my baby. Just because she's not here doesn't mean she doesn't count! And then I read Tamara's post and I was so touched that she mentioned us in her newspaper article...and that's when the tears started to flow. Thank you, Tamara, for recognizing that all of us are mothers even if we don't have a child running around our house.
I did not win the essay contest. They were supposed to notify the winner on Friday and I never heard anything, so I knew that much. Still, I was kind of hoping that they might at least put my essay online - you know, "visit our website to see other entries." Instead, they actually didn't even print the winner's essay - they just wrote an article using some stories from her and other mothers. The whole article focused on funny mistakes mothers have made, like signing a letter from the tooth fairy, "Love, The Easter Bunny." I guess my essay doesn't exactly fit in with those kinds of stories.
I knew that tears would come at some point today...I was just waiting for the trigger. Part of it was that several friends of mine said things like, "Happy Mother's Day, mommy-to-be!" I know they meant well, but it hurts because I AM a mom. I've already seen and held my baby. Just because she's not here doesn't mean she doesn't count! And then I read Tamara's post and I was so touched that she mentioned us in her newspaper article...and that's when the tears started to flow. Thank you, Tamara, for recognizing that all of us are mothers even if we don't have a child running around our house.
Happy Mother's Day to...
Gregory's mom
Jenna's mom
Malou's mom
Lily's mom
Brenna's mom
Cameron's mom
Collin & Eli's mom
Elliana's mom
Tyler's mom
Georgia's mom
Timothy's mom
Ella's mom
Nicholas's mom
...and anybody else that I unintentionally left out.
Gregory's mom
Jenna's mom
Malou's mom
Lily's mom
Brenna's mom
Cameron's mom
Collin & Eli's mom
Elliana's mom
Tyler's mom
Georgia's mom
Timothy's mom
Ella's mom
Nicholas's mom
...and anybody else that I unintentionally left out.


8 comments:
I just wanted to wish you a Very Happy Mothers Day! I hope you gave a great day!
Thanks so much, Beth. I'm thinking of you today too. I've just started my day and I'm really hoping that my family remembers to acknowledge me today too. I will be so sad if they fail to do so. I did get a good gift this morning though, Carly at To Write Their Names In The Sand finally posted Ella's name. Now I have to figure out how to post it on my blog. Have you requested one for Ada?
Beth... you are a beautiful, beautiful mommy. I know today is tough.. hang in there.
xo
Happy Mother's Day Beth!
You have every reason in the world to celebrate today! You're a wonderful mother, and I just know little Ada is smiling so big for you right now!
I hope you have had a peaceful day. I also cried when I read Tamara's article.
You sound like you have a jam packed week! Take it easy, sister!
Thanks for mentioning me in this article. I just felt compelled to say something. I hope it brings about an awareness. And, you are a Mother. Big hugs to you.
It does hurt to hear those words "mother to be". I'm sorry you didn't win, but you are right, your story is so much deeper and bigger than the examples you listed. Ada's story was too big for that contest. I'm sorry the day has been more sad than happy. I've been thinking about you and all the moms who have shed tears today.
Thank you for rembering us.
Post a Comment