Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Buildings with memories

Tonight I am going back to the hospital where Ada was born, and I'm a little nervous about it. The only time I've ever been there was to deliver her. We're taking an infant CPR class and we'll just be in a classroom somewhere, but what I'm really nervous about is Saturday. We're taking a childbirth class which is on the L&D floor, and the class includes a tour. I couldn't pick out the room where I was for those 2 days (I intentionally looked at the floor as they were taking us the room because I didn't want to see all of the cute happy baby stuff I imagined was hanging on everybody's doors), but I know the room number is written down somewhere. I think I'm going to look it up, just so I know which room it was and I don't constantly keep wondering, "Was this the room?" It's probably good for us to go back to the hospital before it's time for Eleanor to come though, because this way we can get used to being there now instead of when I'm being induced and there's already so much going on.

One of our two cats has been missing for almost 6 days now, and it's been really sad. One of the things I've done to find her is to call local vets and leave a description of her. One vet wanted me to come by and post something on their bulletin board, so I did. This vet is right next door to the funeral home where I picked up Ada's ashes. I've driven past there quite a few times, but it's in this whole complex of buildings so I never really notice it. Well, I did yesterday, and all I could think about was leaving that building with my daughter in a small white cardboard box. No parent should ever, ever have to do that.

4 comments:

Bree said...

I'm so sorry about your cat. I hope she comes back. I had a cat disappear once. I couldn't go to work for an entire week because I was so upset. I definately understand the bond we have with our pets.

Going back to the hospital is scary. I went back about a month after I had Ella to thank the nurses. I saw the room that I had her in. Nobody was in there that day. I wondered if they only used that room for people with sad cases. The one thing that did make me upset and cry was when I saw a family in the waiting room, all excited and talking about a baby that was going to be born any minute. I was so upset that didn't happen for Ella and me. But, I think your right. Going there before you have Eleanor is probably wise. You want to be in good shape when you go there to deliver.

Hope your having fun with your classes and enjoying your summer days! Hugs!!

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Sorry about your missing cat. That is scary. I know how those nerves start building up about being back where you spent the worst day ever. Our MFM appointments are on the L&D floor and I can't even bring myself to look down the hall at the door that I knew was mine. A couple weeks after my loss I had to take Bill to the emergency room at that hospital and just driving there made me so anxious. When I had my L&D scare I was put into a different room, luckily, but it was a nightmare. I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I agree that it is probably a good idea to face this now so that all your positive focus can be on Eleanor when you are ready to deliver her. Hugs.

Jen said...

I do some marketing for my job, and I occasionally have to go to the hospital where we had Lily, and no matter how many times I go there...its always like the first-time back.

I hope you cat comes home soon :(

Mirna said...

Hope by the time you read this, your cat is back home! Hugs