One year ago today I got what I thought might be the worst news of my life. (At that point, it may have been, but the news I got 26 days later definitely was worse.) I was at a teaching conference in Atlanta, 9 hours away from my husband, when my doctor called to say that Ada's AFP test showed an elevated risk of Down's Syndrome. It didn't mean that she had it, but it just meant that there was a higher possibility than usual and we needed to get a Level 2 ultrasound.
I was a wreck. I called Hunter and I lost it. He was so upset that he called the doctor back to ask her more questions about the test. We both spent the rest of the afternoon researching that test and discovering that it gives LOTS of false positives. Still, we were so afraid that we might not be so lucky.
I still had 2 more days at the conference, and it was so hard for me to concentrate. I could not wait to get home to Hunter. Then, the next day, I got a phone call from my nurse saying that the lab may have miscalculated the results! What?! Apparently my birthday was written down differently in two places and the age of the mother is a big factor in determining the risk. It wasn't until the following Tuesday morning that we found out that the results were indeed miscalculated. Whew! Crisis averted! The baby was okay! At least, for a few more weeks...
This week I am virtually attending that same conference in Atlanta. I wasn't quite sure about traveling at this point in the pregnancy, and Hunter was completely against it. So, I've been using Skype all week to talk to everybody there. It's been pretty interesting! So, once again I am pregnant at this conference. And once again I am hoping that everything is okay with my baby. I just hope that the outcome this year is totally different. All I want is to hold my healthy baby.
I was a wreck. I called Hunter and I lost it. He was so upset that he called the doctor back to ask her more questions about the test. We both spent the rest of the afternoon researching that test and discovering that it gives LOTS of false positives. Still, we were so afraid that we might not be so lucky.
I still had 2 more days at the conference, and it was so hard for me to concentrate. I could not wait to get home to Hunter. Then, the next day, I got a phone call from my nurse saying that the lab may have miscalculated the results! What?! Apparently my birthday was written down differently in two places and the age of the mother is a big factor in determining the risk. It wasn't until the following Tuesday morning that we found out that the results were indeed miscalculated. Whew! Crisis averted! The baby was okay! At least, for a few more weeks...
This week I am virtually attending that same conference in Atlanta. I wasn't quite sure about traveling at this point in the pregnancy, and Hunter was completely against it. So, I've been using Skype all week to talk to everybody there. It's been pretty interesting! So, once again I am pregnant at this conference. And once again I am hoping that everything is okay with my baby. I just hope that the outcome this year is totally different. All I want is to hold my healthy baby.


4 comments:
I hate that we have so many dates that are so gloomy for us.
You are such a dedicated teacher- skyping the conference. Are you returning to work next year?
I love that you love Gilmore Girls. It comes on here everyday at 11. I saw Lauren Graham at the mall once when I lived in LA. She's just as beautiful in person.
Thinking of you! You're so close!!!
It hurts to hear you got that news and then got an "all clear" when the worst was yet to come. I am glad you are taking it easy and thinking of you. You are on your way to the RAINBOW you deserve!
Getting closer to holding that little bundle of Joy! Hugs to you! :)
I got a little excited when you said you were in Atlanta, then back down to normal when I saw the word skype :)
All these tests during pregnancy can drive you mad, it always makes me wonder what women did before all these tests existed. I guess they just rolled the dice.
Only a month left :) I am so envious!
Post a Comment