This past Sunday, I felt like the sermon could have been written for me. The pastor talked about 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 which says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." He talked about how this verse can be hard to hear when we go through hard times, and especially for those who are dealing with grief or stress or worry as we approach Christmas. The main point he made - my favorite point - was that this scripture says to give thanks in all circumstances, not for all circumstances. So while I will never, ever be thankful for Ada's death, I can find things to be thankful for that have come from her death.
As he was still preaching (I may have missed a few other points...), I started thinking about the day that we found out that Ada had died. That night my brother and sister-in-law brought dinner over to us and pretty much just sat with us. We were so thankful for their company. Our family always prays before a meal, but I couldn't do it. I asked them to, and neither of them wanted to either - what do you say?? So, Hunter, who normally never prays out loud, said one of the most beautiful prayers I have ever heard. "Thank you for the time we had with Ada and for letting us get to know her." Despite the horrible, devastating news we received that morning, he was able to give thanks in - but certainly not for - those circumstances.
Later in the sermon, the pastor talked about when his own father died and how, when his wife found out, she just sat with him and wept with him. He talked about how the greatest gift when you're grieving is to have somebody else weep with you. For the second time in about 10 minutes, I had to hold back my tears in church. I don't know how I would have dealt with Ada's death if I had not had Hunter to cry with - or the support of so many family members and friends. So thank you, those of you who know me and have supported me, for grieving with me. He was right - it is a wonderful gift.
I want to include the affirmation of faith that we said this Sunday. We normally say the Apostle's Creed, but during Advent we seem to be doing different ones every week. I like this one.
I believe that the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who out of nothing created heaven and earth and everything in them, who still upholds and rules them with love, is my God and Father because of Christ his Son. I trust him so much that I do not doubt that God will provide whatever I need for body and soul, and God will turn to good whatever adversity I face in this sad world. God is able to do this because God is almighty; God desires to do this because God is a faithful Father. Amen.
As he was still preaching (I may have missed a few other points...), I started thinking about the day that we found out that Ada had died. That night my brother and sister-in-law brought dinner over to us and pretty much just sat with us. We were so thankful for their company. Our family always prays before a meal, but I couldn't do it. I asked them to, and neither of them wanted to either - what do you say?? So, Hunter, who normally never prays out loud, said one of the most beautiful prayers I have ever heard. "Thank you for the time we had with Ada and for letting us get to know her." Despite the horrible, devastating news we received that morning, he was able to give thanks in - but certainly not for - those circumstances.
Later in the sermon, the pastor talked about when his own father died and how, when his wife found out, she just sat with him and wept with him. He talked about how the greatest gift when you're grieving is to have somebody else weep with you. For the second time in about 10 minutes, I had to hold back my tears in church. I don't know how I would have dealt with Ada's death if I had not had Hunter to cry with - or the support of so many family members and friends. So thank you, those of you who know me and have supported me, for grieving with me. He was right - it is a wonderful gift.
I want to include the affirmation of faith that we said this Sunday. We normally say the Apostle's Creed, but during Advent we seem to be doing different ones every week. I like this one.
I believe that the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who out of nothing created heaven and earth and everything in them, who still upholds and rules them with love, is my God and Father because of Christ his Son. I trust him so much that I do not doubt that God will provide whatever I need for body and soul, and God will turn to good whatever adversity I face in this sad world. God is able to do this because God is almighty; God desires to do this because God is a faithful Father. Amen.


3 comments:
It's funny that you posted about this. It's something I've been wrestling with since Thanksgiving. I love to read what others feel when they hear that verse!
Kara
Beth,
I came across your sweet baby girl "Ada's" blog from Chris and Shelley Talbotts blog. When I read this entry I started to tear up. It has opened my eyes to some things that are going on in my life and I just wanted to thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your 2nd baby blessing!
Beth, I really love this post...I especially liked the creed you included at the end. I'm glad that you haven't lost your faith in the Lord despite these very sad times. I pray that He'll continue to strengthen you and help you. And for what it's worth...I love you!
Monica
Post a Comment