I went to the doctor today for all of the initial pregnancy paperwork. I had to fill out the exact same forms from last time, only it was a very different experience this time. I didn't realize I would get so emotional when I had to fill out this stuff. I was fighting back tears for a while. Here's a few of the items I answered:
Number of past pregnancies: 1
Living children: 0
Date pregnancy ended (yes, that's what it said!): July 16, 2008
Gestational weeks: 24
Weight of baby: 1 lb, 10 oz
Complications: Stillborn
Have you ever had multiple miscarriages or a stillbirth: yes
Have you ever had a baby born before 37 weeks gestation: yes
Have you ever had a baby born under 5 lbs: yes
Then, I had to fill out this screening thing for people who need assistance. It asks questions about if you smoke, drink, if you're under 18, if you wanted this pregnancy to happen, etc. I wasn't quite sure about how to answer the question, "In the last month, I have felt depressed or helpless." I said no, which was probably untruthful. But then again, I do know that I'm a lot better off this month than I was last month. I'm still grieving my daughter who was still with me 5 months ago - what do you expect? I was honest about the fact that I've been to counseling. (By the way, my last session was last night and we decided to not make any more appointments. I imagine I might go back at some point during this pregnancy, but not on a regular basis.)
The nurse gave me the same exact freebies and the same packet of information that I just got in March. She kept telling me stuff I already knew. I guess not many people have two pregnancies in one year. I really should read back over everything though, because I glanced at the diet section and I had forgotten how much fruit they recommend. I've been focusing more on protein and dairy, because that's what I'm always the worst about eating.
My doctor's office sees all of the newly pregnant people on the same day, so as I looked around there were two other people filling out the same paperwork. I noticed that the girl next to me didn't fill out anything in the past pregnancy section. That was me - last time. I wonder if she's as ignorant as I was. I now know that the phrase "ignorance is bliss" is so true.
Number of past pregnancies: 1
Living children: 0
Date pregnancy ended (yes, that's what it said!): July 16, 2008
Gestational weeks: 24
Weight of baby: 1 lb, 10 oz
Complications: Stillborn
Have you ever had multiple miscarriages or a stillbirth: yes
Have you ever had a baby born before 37 weeks gestation: yes
Have you ever had a baby born under 5 lbs: yes
Then, I had to fill out this screening thing for people who need assistance. It asks questions about if you smoke, drink, if you're under 18, if you wanted this pregnancy to happen, etc. I wasn't quite sure about how to answer the question, "In the last month, I have felt depressed or helpless." I said no, which was probably untruthful. But then again, I do know that I'm a lot better off this month than I was last month. I'm still grieving my daughter who was still with me 5 months ago - what do you expect? I was honest about the fact that I've been to counseling. (By the way, my last session was last night and we decided to not make any more appointments. I imagine I might go back at some point during this pregnancy, but not on a regular basis.)
The nurse gave me the same exact freebies and the same packet of information that I just got in March. She kept telling me stuff I already knew. I guess not many people have two pregnancies in one year. I really should read back over everything though, because I glanced at the diet section and I had forgotten how much fruit they recommend. I've been focusing more on protein and dairy, because that's what I'm always the worst about eating.
My doctor's office sees all of the newly pregnant people on the same day, so as I looked around there were two other people filling out the same paperwork. I noticed that the girl next to me didn't fill out anything in the past pregnancy section. That was me - last time. I wonder if she's as ignorant as I was. I now know that the phrase "ignorance is bliss" is so true.


1 comment:
Ouch. That must have been tough. I am thinking "ignorance is bliss" is more true than I ever thought it was. Sorry you had such painful answers, of course it was emotional.
Post a Comment