If you've been following my other blog, you know that we have been having an excellent vacation in Costa Rica. Still, there have been a couple of sad moments on this trip. First of all, on our anniversary we went out to a really great restaurant. It had a romantic atmosphere with candles and a view of a courtyard garden. The waiter seated us upstairs and we were the only ones up there for a while. We started talking about this last year - our 6th year of being married - and of course Ada was the main topic of conversation. I started to cry, right there in the restaurant, because I just realized how much I miss her. This has been a year that has profoundly affected our relationship - in a good but sad way. I was glad that we had privacy for that conversation though.
Then on New Year's Eve we were so tired that we just stayed in the room. I don't really know what else there was to do in San Jose when you don't have any friends in the city and you don't drink. We're on Central time here, so we decided to just stay up until 11:00 local time so we could watch the ball drop in New York. I watched it on CNN and when I saw everybody celebrating in Times Square, it hit me - Ada's year is over. 2008 was the only year of her life. A new year means a year without her. That was really sad to both of us. We're excited about the baby on the way and ready to move ahead, but we both still miss her so much.
Finally, tonight I checked my email and I had one from Big Cat Rescue with a question about the plaque that is going to go up on a "cat-a-tat". What I wanted to put wouldn't quite fit, but this is what it's going to say:
His question was whether to put "our daughter Ada" or to write out her full name, but we decided we wanted it to be clear that Ada was our daughter. What really touched me was the last line of the email: "Thanks again for your donation. We are honored that you have chosen this way to remember your daughter."
Then on New Year's Eve we were so tired that we just stayed in the room. I don't really know what else there was to do in San Jose when you don't have any friends in the city and you don't drink. We're on Central time here, so we decided to just stay up until 11:00 local time so we could watch the ball drop in New York. I watched it on CNN and when I saw everybody celebrating in Times Square, it hit me - Ada's year is over. 2008 was the only year of her life. A new year means a year without her. That was really sad to both of us. We're excited about the baby on the way and ready to move ahead, but we both still miss her so much.
Finally, tonight I checked my email and I had one from Big Cat Rescue with a question about the plaque that is going to go up on a "cat-a-tat". What I wanted to put wouldn't quite fit, but this is what it's going to say:
Hunter & Beth [last name]
In Memory Of
Our Daughter Ada
In Memory Of
Our Daughter Ada
His question was whether to put "our daughter Ada" or to write out her full name, but we decided we wanted it to be clear that Ada was our daughter. What really touched me was the last line of the email: "Thanks again for your donation. We are honored that you have chosen this way to remember your daughter."


1 comment:
I'm missing Gregory so much lately and I know what you mean about 2008 being over. I'm glad it is...but that is all I had with my little boy. Hugs.
Post a Comment