Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm happy...

...and it scares me!

This weekend I am flying to SC where I used to live and I'm having my first baby shower. I'll only be 25 weeks pregnant, but I don't want to travel any after I begin the third trimester. It's just not worth the risk! I am very excited about visiting with friends and family, and of course I'm excited about all of the cute baby things that are to come.

Hunter and I have been talking more and more about Eleanor lately. He reaches over to put his hand on my belly all the time, and he gets so excited when he feels her move. He talks to her - it's always so sweet. Tonight we had Mexican food and Hunter let "Eleanor" have the last bite of guacamole - I'm not sure if I would have gotten it otherwise! He talks about her all the time and I love seeing how excited he is.

The nursery looks so cute. It's not totally done yet, but it's come together very nicely. There's really not that much left to do besides hang the painting that is currently being framed and to find some curtains. I go in there almost every day and think about what it will be like when Eleanor is here.

Today I heard a story from one of my pregnant friends. (Well, I heard it through Hunter so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.) She was at the doctor's office where she heard a very pregnant woman "lose it". She was sobbing and calling people on her cell phone. That's really all I know, but that sounds extremely familiar to me. I remember when I called my mom and I could barely even get any words out. I keep thinking about that poor woman and wonder how she's doing tonight.

I could not handle that experience again. I miss Ada every day and think about her precious little life, but I am moving forward and I am so excited about Eleanor. I don't really worry too much about this pregnancy or dwell on the "what if's" often, but then sometimes I stop and think... What if it happens again? So, that's why I'm scared to be this happy.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Have fun this weekend :)

Mrs. Mother said...

I just know you'll have a great weekend. Enjoy being happy. You deserve it.

Never forgetting Gregory said...

You will love your shower and Eleanor deserves all this excitement. It sounds like you and Hunter are doing a great job remembering Ada and preparing for your new little life. I love hearing how upbeat you are in your post.

Emily said...

Are y'all planning on going to church in Pendleton on Sunday, then? It would be great to see you and your growing belly!

Lea said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to say 'hi' and how sorry I am about your sweet Ada....
I look forward to learning more about your journey.

Strength to you

Dave Gladson said...

Beth, thanks so much for sharing and opening up about your own fears and pain...

Bree said...

Hi Beth,
Thanks for visiting my blog. It is just nice to know that someone is reading your story and sharing some of the feelings you are having (though, i hate to know that anyone else is experiencing this).
My first baby shower was supposed to be this weekend. I am so sad, but I will think of you and be happy that there is mom out there who really deserves to celebrate her new baby. I can't wait until I'm in your position.
On a totally different subject, I wanted to say I love reading your entries about your students and your lessons. I am a teacher too- I teach science to students in grades one through eight. Your lessons sound so engaging. Your students are so lucky to have you.
Have a blissful weekend!