Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Autopsy

We had an autopsy done on Ada so we could try to understand what happened and prevent anything like this from happening again. The doctor had the results at my two week checkup and I was terrified the day before we went in. I was so afraid she was going to tell me that I had done something that caused Ada's death, or that it was something that would happen with any future children as well. Anyway, I think we got the best news possible. Ada died from anoxia, which basically means that her oxygen supply was cut off slowly. She probably just fell asleep. What caused that is not crystal clear, but the doctor is pretty sure that there was a blood clot in the placenta. They tested my blood for a condition that causes clotting and for several infections, but they all came back negative. (In fact, I am even immune to one of the infections they tested for - at least I have something going for me!) So, this turned out to be the best news possible: it was a one time thing and should never happen again. And, it was not my fault. That's not to say I haven't gone back time and time again and thought through all of the things that I might have done... But logically, I know it wasn't me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have many things "going" for you. you have a strong faith in our Father. you have a good mind and a loving heart. a strong body.
you are curious. you love the earth.
you care about the creatures we share it with. you are loved by your family. you have a husband who loves you and is so willing to share in the lives of your children.he knows he is a daddy even before he can feel your child move. what a blessed life. what a gift your life is to those of us who know you.