Tonight I was talking with my sister-in-law, Monica. She told me that she had been reading my blog and apologized in case she had ever said anything to offend me. I guess when I write about what people should know about pregnancy loss, it makes everybody on edge because they realize that they might say something I don't want to hear. Don't worry about that though! Nobody should feel like they need to apologize to me. Monica has been one of the main people I have been able to talk to over the past few months. When I think about her, I think about somebody who truly cares about how I feel and who will listen to me ramble on and on about what I have been going through. There is no reason she should ever apologize to me! :)
So, what is most important for others to know is not what "not to say", but rather...just say something. Like I told Monica tonight, not a single person has offended me. Yes, there have been a couple of comments that made me cringe, but you know what I remember? It's not their words, but rather the fact that the person cared enough to talk to me about Ada. So if you know anybody who is going through something like this, or really any hard times at all, don't fret over what to say or not to say. Just say something. And listen. Because that is what they will remember in the end.
So, what is most important for others to know is not what "not to say", but rather...just say something. Like I told Monica tonight, not a single person has offended me. Yes, there have been a couple of comments that made me cringe, but you know what I remember? It's not their words, but rather the fact that the person cared enough to talk to me about Ada. So if you know anybody who is going through something like this, or really any hard times at all, don't fret over what to say or not to say. Just say something. And listen. Because that is what they will remember in the end.


4 comments:
I agree. I wish people would just say something. I'm more offended by those who are acting like it never happened than I am those who say something offensive. My friend told me he didn't know what to say, and I told him that it was OK, that I knew he cared because he was trying to say something.
I think a simple "I'm sorry" or "I've been praying for you" goes a long way. I don't need any profound advice, but knowing that people care about me and the (however short) life of my daughter means the world to me.
I am thinking of you. I have such a love and respect for babies who are taken too soon...and mommy's who don't get to hold their babies every day. I know Ada's life means the world to you and I know you will never forget her no matter who decides to. I will always think of your baby girl and all the beautiful babies whose little lives deserve to be validated...just like my Gregory. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I look forward to comments so much because it means my son's little life is not forgotten.
I could not agree with you more. They should just say something. I had my first day back to work today, and so many people just didn't say anything about Georgia. Just "Welcome Back."
Post a Comment