Sunday, September 14, 2008

Some good news

During Ada's autopsy, they were not able to do any genetic tests because they weren't able to grow the cells. (I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's because she died possibly a week before she was born and it had been too long.) We'll never know if Ada had any genetic problems, although we doubt she did, but Hunter and I did decide to both get our chromosomes tested. We finally got the results back on Friday, and we are both normal and aren't carriers of any conditions. This means that if Ada did have any kind of genetic condition, it was totally random and shouldn't affect any future children.

My other good news is that I seem to be doing a lot better lately. Over the past week I think I have had one bad day, and it wasn't even all that bad. This weekend was really good because we went up to Clemson to go to the football game (well, I went at least - somehow I married a man who doesn't like sports) and we visited with a lot of family and friends. The only sad part came on Saturday night. See, when Hunter and I spread Ada's ashes on the beach, we only did it with half of them. Hunter's dad is taking the other half to some family land in Arizona. Ada had actually even been there back in April on our trip out west when Hunter took me to show me the ranch. So, this weekend we took the other half of the ashes to Hunter's dad so he can spread them the next time he goes out there. After we spread Ada's ashes at the beach I tried to forget that we had the other half - in my mind, I had already told her goodbye. Still, in the back of my mind I knew that we still had a part of her. This weekend it was really hard for both of us to pass on that final piece of her to Hunter's dad. Really hard. But, I know he will take good care of her - he said that he will even carry the little jar in his pocket on the plane to make sure nothing happens.

Anyway, later that night we got together with some of our good friends, including new babies Eric and Hope that I mentioned in this post. A little part of me was sad thinking about Ada and how she will miss out on getting to be friends with them, but for the most part I just enjoyed being with our friends and getting to hold the babies. It was my first time to meet little Eric! Holding him didn't make me sad or mad or jealous or anything like that - I just enjoyed holding a sweet baby boy...that is, until his diaper leaked all over my jeans! Anyway, I took that as a sign that I must be doing better. Here is a picture of Hope and Eric - they were so cute together!



1 comment:

Mrs. Mother said...

I'm so glad to hear your good news. That must make you feel a little better. Those babies are adorable. It is still a little hard for me to be around baby girls, but I'm sure it will get better.