Sunday, September 21, 2008

Repainting Ada's Room

When Hunter and I bought our house last summer, we decided to go ahead and let one of the bedrooms be a nursery since we planned to start trying soon. I picked the room with chair railing because I thought it could look really nice when it's painted two colors. We painted it yellow below the railing and white above the railing, but we were never happy with the way it looked. Both of the shades we had chosen just were not right, and we had gotten quite a few gray splotches of primer on the trim. It didn't look too bad, but it just wasn't what we had in mind.

A couple of weeks ago we had to paint a spot on the outside of the house and we decided to go ahead and get paint to redo the nursery as well. Hunter knew that I really did not enjoy painting, so yesterday he surprised me. I was gone all day and when I got home, he had completely repainted the whole room! I had no idea he was going to do that. The yellow still needs another coat and we're going to redo the trim, but it already looks a whole lot better. It's a little lighter than what we wanted (the previous yellow was too bold, like a lemon), but it's not bad. It's about the same color as butter. The white looks a million times better because it's not as bright and shiny.

On the one hand I am glad that we decided to redo the room a little bit so it won't feel like the next baby (whenever there is one) is taking over Ada's room. On the other hand, I feel like the next baby is getting a better paint job than Ada would have gotten...so I like to think that we would have redone it anyway. At any rate, I am so thankful for Hunter's thoughtfulness. Maybe when we put all of the furniture and stuff back in the room it will be a good time for me to put all of Ada's stuff in a special storage box. I think this is going to help me move forward.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mother said...

I bet it looks wonderful. That was so nice of your husband to do that.

Never forgetting Gregory said...

That is really sweet of your husband. It must be nice to have it done, but it might have been painful for you to do participate in. He sounds like a sweetheart. I'm glad you are pleased with it!