Thursday, October 30, 2008

El Dia de los Muertos

I am a junior high school Spanish teacher, and one of my favorite things that I teach about all year is the Day of the Dead. It's nice sometimes to take a break from the vocabulary and grammar and just talk about the culture in places where Spanish is spoken. If you don't know much about it, the Day of the Dead (or really days of the dead) is celebrated in Mexico every year on November 1 & 2. It's an ancient Aztec tradition that was merged with Catholic beliefs when the Spanish conquered Mexico. That's why it's on Nov. 1 - All Saints' Day. Anyway, the spirit of the holiday is not sad or scary, but rather it's festive and the Mexicans mock death. They say that they are not afraid of death because they believe in life after death. (The Aztecs believed in this too, but of course it wasn't exactly the same as what Catholic Mexicans believe in today.)

Today I talked some about what the Day of the Dead is all about, and then I showed this really great 25 minute video. I hardly ever show videos, but this one is totally worth it. You see families gathered around their loved ones' graves, eating their favorite foods, reciting poems or scripture, and singing songs. There are even people selling cotton candy and peanuts in the cemetery. Children set off fireworks. There are parades and costumes. Literally, everything stops for two days and everybody spends the time with their families, celebrating and remembering the dead.

November 1 is the day to celebrate the lives of children who have died. Last year when I first saw this video and heard it phrased that way, I thought it was a little weird. Why have a special day for children? But now I understand. I would love it if my whole community stopped working for two days and spent the time telling stories about loved ones who have passed away. I could have a day every year to tell people about Ada. Family really is the top priority for people in Mexico.

Tomorrow we are going to celebrate the Day of the Dead in my classroom. I've invited my students to bring in pictures of loved ones who have passed away or an item that reminds them of the person. I am going to take in pictures of my 3 deceased grandparents, but I also plan to take Ada's blanket. I want to tell my students about her, but only if I can do it in a happy way. If I feel like I'm going to get too emotional, I just won't do it. I think it would really help them understand the holiday. We're going to put all of the items on a table and then decorate the table with crafts that they make, just like they do in Mexico.

One interesting thing today is that I asked my students if any of them have traditions in their families to remember loved ones who have passed away. Two girls in the same class said that on their grandmothers' birthdays, they go eat at her favorite restaurant and order her favorite meal. Another girl said that on her grandmother's birthday they make a cake and tell stories about her. I thought these stories were so neat, and I want to have a tradition for Ada. I think at sunrise on her birthday I will always visit the beach where we scattered her ashes. We're also going to do that on Wednesday, her due date. I can't believe it's only 6 days away.

Hunter wanted Ada to be born on Halloween, but I was hoping for election day or (my second choice) one of the Days of the Dead. I had no idea I would be remembering her on the Day of the Dead instead...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea to do with your students! I hope that the day turns out to be good and that you can tell your students about Ada. Although, despite them being at probably the most awkward age there is (at least in my experience!), I think it is also very good for them to see you be emotional around your daughter's death. Just another way to open their minds, by letting them see how powerful El Dia de los Muertos can be, by how powerful your love for Ada is.
Otherwise, I am wishing you a lot of hope and love and comfort in the upcoming days as you approach Ada's due date. And hopefully it will turn into a day of celebration for us in terms of the election! ;-)

Jen said...

You sound like an awesome teacher. My highschool spanish teacher was a wierdo! I think it would be great for you to talk about Ada to your students...learning from real-life stories is probably most influential to kids that age. I also think your idea about how to celebrate Ada's memory is a great idea. I've been thinking of you alot as Ada's due date approaches. ((hugs)) and prayers to you and Hunter.

Mrs. Mother said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I think it's great you are teaching your students about this. I wish we did something like this in our culture.