Friday, October 3, 2008

Elections

I have always been very interested in politics. I love watching the debates, trying to understand both parties' ways of thinking, and voting. I really get into it. My senior year of high school I took US Government, and our teacher did such a great job at talking about current events every day in a way that I could really understand. In college I took a class on the history of the Persian Gulf war at the same time that we invaded Iraq, and I learned so much during that semester. Our professor was an expert on the Middle East and by the end of the semester I understood so much about what we were getting into in Iraq. Hunter and I agree politically on a few issues that are important to me, but we don't agree on everything and we pretty much never end up voting for the same person. I remember in 2004 we drove to the voting site together to vote, even though we knew we were voting for opposite parties for president. I'm actually glad that we don't always see eye to eye though, because it makes for some very interesting conversations. Last night we spent about an hour talking about school vouchers, and I'm glad I have an intelligent person to talk to who really makes me think things through. (We actually agree on that one, but he's a little more in the middle than I am.) Anyway, I love history, social studies, and politics.

So, when I realized that my due date was the day after election day, I was so excited. I planned to get my absentee ballot because I wasn't sure if I'd be up for voting on Nov. 4. Hunter wanted Ada to be born on Halloween, but I thought it would be so cool if she was born on the day that the first African-American or woman president (or now, maybe first woman VP) was elected. I wanted her to be born on a monumental day, and I was hoping that one day she might even run for office and she could tell everybody that she was born on election day. It's kind of silly, I know, but what parent doesn't have crazy dreams for their children?

Now, the reminders are everywhere. I hear people talk about how quickly election day is approaching, and I want to cry. Today I saw a site that had a countdown to election day, and for me it's just a countdown (+1) to the day I was supposed to meet Ada. Alive. I was watching some commentators discuss last night's debate and I was really following what they were saying until I heard one of them mention "the next 5 weeks" and I completely lost focus. It's hard to move on when the national headlines are reminding you of what is not going to happen in 32 days.

1 comment:

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Wow. That must be so tough. I love history and social studies also, so we share that interest, but I can see why this must be such a difficult time for you. Hugs.