Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. I bought a bunch of ribbon and made over 60 of them. I sent them to my family and a few close friends, and I was so happy to hear how many people wore them today. My sister even sent me a picture of her and her friend wearing their ribbons - it was such a nice gesture.
I also sent an email to the faculty and staff at my school. They know the basics of what happened, and I also included some statistics on miscarriages, stillbirth, and infant death. Then I left a bunch of ribbons by the mailboxes this morning and I was touched by how many other teachers were wearing those ribbons today. It meant so much to see my colleagues remembering Ada too. I am not alone at my school though. A few people told me of their own losses right after I came back, and today several teachers emailed or told me about their own losses. One had 3 miscarriages; another had a miscarriage almost exactly one year ago. I think they really appreciated that someone was calling attention to their own pain too.
Tonight I was at church at 7:00, but I asked Hunter to light Ada's candle then for the wave of light. Then later, we blew it out together. Hunter's not very into symbols, but he told me that lighting the candle did mean something to him and it did help him remember Ada. The candle is the same white pillar candle that burned at her memorial service. I've burned it a few other times since then, but I don't want it to run out! I hope I can still have it lit on her due date, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It will be like she is with us for the holidays.
Thank you to all of you who remembered Ada today. I thought today would be a sad day for me, but instead it has been rather uplifting. I am thankful that this day was created for everybody to come together and remember. So, let's remember them all...
If I don't have your baby's middle name, just leave a comment and I'll update it.
I also sent an email to the faculty and staff at my school. They know the basics of what happened, and I also included some statistics on miscarriages, stillbirth, and infant death. Then I left a bunch of ribbons by the mailboxes this morning and I was touched by how many other teachers were wearing those ribbons today. It meant so much to see my colleagues remembering Ada too. I am not alone at my school though. A few people told me of their own losses right after I came back, and today several teachers emailed or told me about their own losses. One had 3 miscarriages; another had a miscarriage almost exactly one year ago. I think they really appreciated that someone was calling attention to their own pain too.
Tonight I was at church at 7:00, but I asked Hunter to light Ada's candle then for the wave of light. Then later, we blew it out together. Hunter's not very into symbols, but he told me that lighting the candle did mean something to him and it did help him remember Ada. The candle is the same white pillar candle that burned at her memorial service. I've burned it a few other times since then, but I don't want it to run out! I hope I can still have it lit on her due date, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It will be like she is with us for the holidays.
Thank you to all of you who remembered Ada today. I thought today would be a sad day for me, but instead it has been rather uplifting. I am thankful that this day was created for everybody to come together and remember. So, let's remember them all...
Ada Elizabeth
Cameron David
Jenna
Gregory
Brenna
Timothy James
Malou Amelia
William Richard
Elliana Mae
Lily Angeline
Georgia Louise
Tyler
My older brother or sister
My little cousin
R&L's 2 babies
C&L's baby
J&A's baby
All of the other babies that we loved and miss
Cameron David
Jenna
Gregory
Brenna
Timothy James
Malou Amelia
William Richard
Elliana Mae
Lily Angeline
Georgia Louise
Tyler
My older brother or sister
My little cousin
R&L's 2 babies
C&L's baby
J&A's baby
All of the other babies that we loved and miss
If I don't have your baby's middle name, just leave a comment and I'll update it.


4 comments:
I'm glad yesterday was an uplifting day for you. What a good idea to make so many ribbons and encourage others to wear them (and to raise awareness).
Thanks for commenting on my new blog, by the way. I appreciate your comments. And thank you also for mentioning Malou in your post.
-Stephanie
I love that you passed out those ribbons and I'm glad people wore them. I'm glad you were able to have those peaceful reminders that Ada is not forgotten. I thought about you a lot yesterday. Thank you for remembering Gregory as well. Hugs.
That's so wonderful that you got those ribbons out!! I can imagine how much that meant to you to see those others remembering Ada!!
I was thinking about you guys last night!
I think it's very important for us to speak out and make people more aware of something that goes on so often. It's amazing how many women come forward when they've learned of your own loss.
Thank you so much for mentioning Cameron's name!
I love reading your blog. Your writing is very eloquent. Lily's middle is Angeline. Thank you for sharing your feelings. Your blog helps me to remember that I'm not alone. I wish you could have your Ada with you, but I feel honored to have met such wonderful women.
Post a Comment