Sunday, October 26, 2008

Flowers for Ada

At our church every week somebody sponsors the flowers. You don't pick out the flowers or anything, but you pay for them and then in the bulletin it says who gave the flowers. They're almost always given in memory of somebody or to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Today we gave the flowers at church in memory of Ada. I wanted next Sunday because it was the one before her due date, but somebody had already signed up for that week. This week was appropriate though, because it's All Saints' Sunday. It was so nice to see Ada's name in print somewhere other than the program for her memorial service.

I was happy that the flowers were so beautiful! I had to laugh when I saw that they were orange and purple (with a few sunflowers mixed in) because those are Clemson's colors where my husband and I both went to college and where we met.

Whoever pays for the flowers gets to take them home, although a lot of the time I think they're passed on to homebound church members. We could have done that, but I really wanted them. I know that might sound selfish of me and if I had given the flowers for any other reason I would probably have passed them on to somebody else, but this is one of the few things I will ever have for Ada and I wanted them for myself. They really brighten up our home just like all of the flowers we got right after we lost her.


3 comments:

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Those are gorgeous. It is so nice for your church to have this tradition. Glad you got to honor Ada in another special way.

Mrs. Mother said...

They are beautiful. I'm glad you were able to do that for Ada.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they are so pretty! What a nice way to honor your Ada. (And I'd have taken them home too :)

I hope you're feeling ok coming up to your due date. That day wasn't as hard for me as I would have thought, but I am finding this time now to be hard, because it's the time I conceived Malou last year. That really snuck up on me - didn't think it would be so tough. Anyways, hang in there.