Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Going to the vet

Today I took our two cats to the vet by myself. Hunter usually does this job, but since I'm only working part time this year of course it makes sense for me to do it. When the vet gave the cats their shots and did other unpleasant things to them, I thought about how hard it must be to take your baby to get shots and hear her cry. But I wouldn't know...

The worst part, though, was when he was checking Lincoln's eyes. While he was looking at Penny's, he commented that they looked great and was pretty quick about it. With Lincoln, though, he was quiet and took his time - just like the ultrasound technician did when there was no heartbeat. I knew immediately that something was wrong. I was probably a little more worried than most people would be, because growing up I had a cat with eye problems who had to have one eye removed and we eventually had to put to sleep because she had a brain tumor. That brain tumor was all I could think about while the vet went to another room for what seemed like forever to get a better scope. I just kept thinking to myself that I've lost a baby this year - I can't lose one of my cats, too. They're littler mates and we've had them since they were a couple of weeks old when their mother abandoned them. They're 6 years old now.

He came back and dilated her eyes and then told me that she is losing vision on the left side. That's bad, but we had actually suspected that her vision wasn't too great, and we just need to keep an eye on it to see how bad it gets. Then he said that she also has a very clear heart murmur. Again, there's nothing to do now but just wait and keep an eye on her. I kept asking the vet about what I needed to do, and I don't think I would have been like that if I had not lost Ada. I just want to know what I need to do to make sure that Lincoln is okay and to keep her healthy. After all, I now know how quickly everything can be taken away.

Penny and Lincoln as babies
(Penny is dark, Lincoln is gray)

This is a more recent picture of them enjoying warm laundry.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Hey Beth,

I will be keeping you and your cats in my prayers. When we moved to Texas, I found out that Tilly had a heart murmur and yeast infections on her feet. After a month, the vet said that the murmur is getting better and we are treating the yeast infections. I hope that your cat gets to feeling better!

Mrs. Mother said...

Aww sorry about your kitty. I hope she doesn't completely lose her sight or have any trouble with the heart murmur.

Never forgetting Gregory said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. As if you haven't dealt with enough this year. I hope your poor kitty can get better.

Jen said...

Poor thang! My cat, Delilah, has feline leukemia, so I know how it feels to have a sick kitty. I will keep Lincoln in my thoughts and prayers...I'll tell Delilah to say some kitty prayers...